Spooky season is already showering us with stuff to play thanks to the week-long Steam Next Fest demo event, which runs from October 3-7. The Overwatch 2 launch hits early in October, too, and then there’s a string of notable PC game releases: A new tactical RPG, a long awaited horror game, a former PlayStation exclusive, the long-delayed Gotham Knights, the new Modern Warfare 2, and more.
For a broader look at what’s still ahead this year, visit our big guide to 2022 games. Below, I’ve catalogued October’s PC game release highlights, plus a few updates and events such as Meta Connect, which will include another “unscripted” talk from John Carmack. (Whatever your view on “the metaverse” may be, you know a Carmack VR thought leadership jam session will have a highlight or two. Last year he commented on adult entertainment in the metaverse and told a story about playing Beat Saber with arm weights.)
Overwatch 2 | October 4 (PvP early access)
The new-fangled free-to-play version of Blizzard’s hero shooter has met resistance from long-time players—will its changes attract new ones?
Scorn | October 14
Scorn is a wormy-lookin’ horror game that we’ve been curious about for years now. There has to be at least a few thousand miles of veins in its gothic, HR Giger-like buttresses and naves.
A Plague Tale: Requiem | October 18
The plague returns in another fantasy action adventure—think Tomb Raider, Horizon, that kind of thing—starring the resourceful Amicia and her little brother Hugo, who can control packs of rats.
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection | October 19
PlayStation flagship games Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and spin-off The Lost Legacy finally come to PC with updated UIs and new PC-specific features, such as ultrawide support.
New Tales from the Borderlands | October 21
A sequel to Telltale’s narrative Borderlands series starring new characters. It’s being made by Gearbox instead of Telltale (whose original form is gone), but with some of those who worked on the original.
Gotham Knights | October 21
Batman’s dead, but Gotham’s got other vigilantes: Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, and Robin. Can they fill his big bat-shoes? Following a delay from last year, we’ll finally find out.
Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord | October 25
The PC’s coolest medieval sandbox has been in early access since 2020, and its PC 1.0 and console release won’t be the end of its ongoing development—it got custom server support just the other day, for example.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 | October 28
Modern Warfare 2, but moderner. The rebootish-remake has disappointed some Call of Duty players with its multiplayer changes, but we’re of the mind that the break with tradition is broadly good. Look for Warzone 2.0 in November, too.
October events and game updates
- Steam Next Fest— October 3-10
- Apex Legends: Fight or Fright — October 4 – November 1
- TwitchCon San Diego 2022 — October 7-9
- PAX Australia 2022 — October 7-9
- Meta Connect 2022 — October 11
- Minecraft Live — October 15
- The Dota 2 International 2022 — Throughout October, finals on Oct 29-30
- League of Legends Worlds — Throughout October, semifinals on Oct 29-30
- Hunt Showdown 1.10 Update — TBA October
- Halloween — October 31 — Only a few in-game Halloween events have been announced so far, but expect spookiness from the usuals.
More October game releases
- Marvel Snap — October 8
- Asterigos: Curse of the Stars — October 11
- No More Heroes 3 — October 11
- LEGO Bricktales — October 12
- Cultic — October 13
- Fueled Up — October 13
- Dragon Ball: The Breakers — October 14
- Potionomics — October 17
- Persona 5 Royal —October 21
- Victoria 3 — October 25
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure — October 27
- Signalis — October 27
- Butterfly Soup 2 — October 29